Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Salt Dough

Ever since I saw fun ornament ideas on Pinterest I've been planning to make salt dough ornaments for Nolan to paint. I thought it was such a great idea that I made a playdate based around. Great idea but not so fun in concept. I spent forever trying to get the dough just right and then made batch after batch so all the moms would have enough ornaments to paint.

All the other blogs out there make the dough seem simple. It's a simple recipe but it doesn't always work out. As soon as you pop it in the oven to dry/bake, it often rises. For me the key was kneading the heck out of it and drying it low and slow. Low and slow in this case was 200 degrees for 4+ hours!!

I really wanted to do handprint ornaments with Nolan but with the rising that happens they turned into blobs. Instead, I'm doing real clay!! Our favorite pottery painter who has done playdates with my group sold me the clay and will fire all of our fun. 15lbs of clay makes and awful lot of ornaments though!! I still have to take them in to be fired and then paint and return for re-firing. Hopefully I manage to do that all before Christmas but if not they are still adorable! Pics to come but I don't want to ruin the surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment