Monday, December 2, 2013

Buttons brand cloth diaper review

 


I recently received a Buttons brand one-size all-in-two cloth diaper to test out. I had not heard of this brand before receiving it to try but was excited to give an all-in-two a shot.

These diapers consist of a wipe-able PUL shell with a snap-in insert. The shell of the diaper can be reused numerous times in a row without washing by simply removing the soiled snapped in insert and replacing it. This allows the user to purchase less of the more expensive part (cover) and still haev a complete stash. The insert itself is microfiber with a soft fleece lining. For nighttime or heavy wetters they have a snap in doubler option as well. I received the diaper in bright green Apple, insert in large, and a nighttime doubler.


My first impressions were very positive. The PUL shell is very thick, two layer in fact, and feels as if it will stand up to long term wear and use. The nighttime doubler is extra thick. It was surprisingly thick and equal to two or three of other inserts we have!! My only wish for it is that it also has a fleece liner so when not needed it could double as a regular insert. With just the microfiber on top it can't be used stand alone and always has to go under the regular insert since microfiber against a baby's delicate skin is not good.

I prepped the diaper according to instructions and gave it a go. Our first use was a simple daytime outing but as most do it went a little hectic. In the end, Carter was in this diaper longer than I would have liked (almost three hours) and after having finished off his sippy cup. NO LEAKS! For my tiny baby the leg gussets were perfect! He decided to christen the diaper the first time out and I can say that the microfleece seemed to repel the poo and it easily fell into the toilet. I didn't have to scrape as can sometimes happen.

Our second time out with the diaper, I decided to be brave and use it in place of our regular nighttime routine. Now for those of you who cloth diaper you know what a worry this is. After you finally find the perfect nighttime combination messing it up at all can lead to a wet, cranky, awake baby in the middle of the night. I put away our heavy wetter diapers and pulled out the Buttons AI2! Carter slept his usual 12 hours and woke up with no leaks! It's definitely bulky with both inserts snapped in but all nighttime diapers are.

We've also tried using the nighttime doubler inside of another brand's pocket to see how flexible the system is. I am a lazy cloth diaperer and hate sorting through a huge clothes basket for the exact right insert. If I were to add more Buttons to my stash, I'd definitely want to be sure that in a pinch the inserts would work out okay in other diapers. They definitely do and this way the nighttime double can be used without also using a regular insert!!

All in all I was pleasantly surprised. In the past I've not been a huge fan of snap in inserts or AIO or AI2 systems. This one was comfy on baby (my biggest complaint against GroVia system), easy to assemble and disassemble should the diaper be pooped in, and heavy duty enough to last through many many washes!! You can get a Buttons cover/shell for just $11.50/ea on Amazon and inserts are around $4 a piece. (I just saw that Buttons website (link above) has a sale on the covers for $9.35. I'm not sure if it's Cyber Monday deal or not but worth checking out!!) That's pretty impressive considering you'd only need a few covers total to last an entire day.

The diaper is currently in the wash and ready to go back on Carter. I swear this time I'll remember to actually grab a picture of it on him and I'll come back and update this post!! I always remember after I've changed him out of it already.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment