Thursday, April 15, 2010

Yard Work

I really need to get better at updating this blog. You would think staying at home with only one little baby and 3 dogs to manage would give me lots of extra time but in reality that's not the case!

This week Nolan helped me to add some pizazz to our front yard. About a year and a half ago, I purchased 3 small queen palms. I planted one after about six months but ended up placing it too close to the house for long term success.

 I didn't get around to planting the other two because we decided in the mean time to completely redo our backyard. The place the trees were going to go is just going to get torn up in the process so no reason to put them in the ground yet. Of course, trees in pots don't grow like trees in the ground. The planted tree is now at about 20' tall and the others are not even 5'. Since the backyard remodel is going to take some time and involve demo-ing the pool house, I thought I'd just plant the 2 potted trees out front. This meant it was a great time to transplant the large palm too.

This week I dug up the grass where the new bed would go, installed a paver edge, and planted the bed. Let me tell you digging up grass is much harder than you would think. It took 5 garbage bags to dispose of it too! Luckily we have yard waste pick up each week.

I ended up planting the transplanted palm in the center and showcasing it with various other plants. It looks much better in person and will be even nicer once the plants take off and flourish. I planted one of the previously no-planted palms in a second location out front and the third will go in it own tiny circular bed once I have a chance to complete the work. For now the big garden bed is done though!

Living in FL it feels as though yard work is really never done. Things grow at crazy rates and weeds shoot up before your eyes. At least for the moment my little flower bed is nice!


If you look close, directly in front of the gate on the left side of the pic is the second palm I planted. You can barely see a single frond from it in the pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment