Here is the basic way we put on our prefold diapers. We have not had any blowouts with this technique.
1. Lay prefold out flat.
2. Fold right third toward center
3. Fold left third toward center
4. Place baby on diaper with center of bottom in the middle
5. Fold up front to cover baby
6. If needed based on prefold size, fold down the front panel for fit.
7. If needed based on prefold size, undo front right and left folds to make inner tabs. The back tabs in steps 8 and 9 will go over these.
8. Unfold right back tab
9. Pull right tab up to front of diaper and secure with one side of snappi
10. Pull left tab up to front of diaper and secure with one side of snappi
11. Secure center/lower snappi clasp
In reality, I complete the first 3 steps as I pull the prefold from its drawer. I then lift my baby’s legs and place the folded diaper under him as seen in step four. This is exactly like one would do with a disposable. Step 7 is usually necessary as the baby grows toward the upper end of the prefold size (i.e. gets larger).