Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fun with Food

Nolan is at a difficult age food wise. He isn't a fan of baby food purees but can't yet feed himself well. He will flat out refuse most of my homemade purees and takes some of the store bought ones if he is in the mood. Because of this, I've been trying to make meals for myself that he can just  have part of. I got sick of steamed veggies every meal so I've been searching for ideas! Yesterday at the grocery store I stocked up and had a few new recipes in mind.

I spent Nolan's nap making turkey and vegetable meatballs and veggie noodles. I had a bunch of previously made and frozen baby purees but with him rejecting those I wanted to put them to good use.



The turkey meatballs were simple. I took plain lean ground turkey and mixed in an array of pureed veggies (sweet potatoes, zucchini, peas, green beans, and spinach). Some of the meatballs had oatmeal flakes for stability and some did not. Once I figure out which he eats best, I'll know for next time. They were then simply baked until brown and frozen for easy preparation.
For the noodles, I used whole wheat flour, a single egg, and the rest of the veggies mix above. I made it into normal noodle dough and used our great pasta machine to roll out. After boiling all the noodles, I froze small portions separately for easy prep time later on. 

Nolan tried the first helping at lunch today and it was a hit!! Nice and simple and I know exactly what ingredients are in everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment